While the flavor of a classic butter cookie is focuses on the buttery goodness of pure butter these cookies have a tenderness and buttery goodness of the classic with a hearty, delicious dose of almonds.
Almond Butter Cookies
~ Makes 4 dozen small cookies ~
- 7.9 oz (1 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons) almond-coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (or 3 tablespoons flax seed meal)
- 3.8 oz (3/4 cup) whole or blanched almonds*
- 4.0 oz. (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 2.9 oz (3/4 cup) confectioner’s sugar
- 2.3 oz. (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped almond, almond meal, or coarse sugar for rolling
- Heat oven to 350 F. Prepare two baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- In a bowl whisk together the almond-coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum; set aside.
- Place almonds in a food processor, cover and process until finely ground. Add butter and process until smooth. Add the granulated and confectioner’s sugar, process until creamed,
- Transfer cream mixture to a bowl. Add the 2 eggs and the almond extract; until blend well. Add the flour mixture and process until just blended. Throughout the mixing process be sure to stop frequently and scrape down the sides of the food process with a rubber spatula.
- Shape 1 tablespoon of dough into 3/4-inch balls. Roll in the almonds or sugar to coat. Place balls 1-inch apart prepared baking sheet, flatten slightly.
- Bake cookie until bottoms are lightly golden brown, approximately 10 minutes, switching pans top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking.
- Cool briefly then transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely.
*Note: If you want uniform, creamy-ivory cookie use blanched almond meal; if you don’t mind the appearance on the ground almond skins you can use whole almonds. 1 cup of almond meal can also be substituted for the whole almonds; instead of using the food processor in step 3, cream the butter, almond meal, and sugar in a bowl then follow recipe as written.